Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sea of Faces

(Sometimes, I find old poems that I forgot about.  I think this one was in an old memo pad)

Everywhere I look
I see happy couples
People together
And I think about you
And how nice it would be
If we were still together

Is it you that I miss?

Or do I just miss the security
Of always having someone
To be with
To talk to
To share

Every day I survey a sea of faces
And no one looks back

Sometimes a familiar face looks out
But it is not the same

A nod, a wave
A quick Hello
Chit chat

Pre-ordained rules
It is my job to be nice
Smile, wave
Chit chat

No deep connection or meaning
Bobbing along the surface
It's pleasant enough
Helps pass time

I understand how easy it is to feel alone
In a room full of people

And why couples who break up
Keep trying to get back together
Though it makes them miserable

And I keep searching the sea of faces
And wonder if anyone will ever look back.

Copyright 2008.  Lori Dominick

No comments:

Post a Comment