Monday, August 5, 2013

Small Slivers



When a relationship isn't working, and yet, you keep trying to make it work.  By holding on to small parts of the relationship and pretending it's enough. 

Small Slivers

I steal small slivers of domestic life
Cooking, cleaning, helping with projects
Morning coffee
Hugs

I like the way our arms fit together stretched out
mine on the inside
Yours on the outside
your hand over mine
Protecting me
I feel safe, comforted

For brief moments, I want to believe
This is real, lasting, permanent
Yet, as always,
Other plans interfere;
One of us has to leave

We need our space
We are free to do what we want
We can see who we want
We make our own plans

I remind myself that this is what we agreed on
I’m not sure why I steal these slivers
And hold them close
When they break my heart

Copyright 2013.  Lori Dominick 

No comments:

Post a Comment