Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bullett is Gone

October 2007.  While dealing with a separation and house that would not sell; my cat decided it was time to visit the great litter box in the sky.

Bullett is Gone

SUBMITTED TO CATFANCY ONLINE IN JANUARY 08


Bullett is gone, and
It is time
To say goodbye
To a good friend
Guardian
Constant companion
One who knew when I was hurting
One who asked for so little
One who gave so much

 She fought to the very end
Grumbling and growling all the way
Until it was done
The medicine having coursed through her veins

 I wrestle with guilt
Did I do the right thing
I killed my cat
I was merciful and put her out of her misery
I was selfish and put her out of my misery
I am so sorry

 Sixteen years jumble into five small trash bags
Favorite toys
Litter boxes
Old towels that she sat on at the very end
Water dishes, bowls
I kept one of the bowls, her favorite
Maybe I will plant something in it
and remember her always.

Copyright 2007 Lori Dominick

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful close, Lori - love the poem, and the idea - to save the bowl and plant something in it, or keep something in it, or whatever... Bullett was a very lucky cat, to be so loved. ~~~

    ReplyDelete