Sunday, September 18, 2011

Emotions


Emotions

Are you ready?

To handle my emotions
As they pour out
Tumbling
As they come come spewing forth
A lifetime of rage, anger, shame, betrayal, frustration, hurt, pain.

Happiness has taken a holiday
 Then, you will be hurt
You will throw out your defense grid
Based on logic and reason
Or, what appears to be logical and reasonable.

 All of my emotions will be forced into a neat little package for me to swallow.
But the box is bursting at the seams
And each time I try to contain them they get worse. 

Soon your logic and reason will be for naught. 

These emotions will not be controlled.
They want to run unchecked.
They are tired of being contained. 

Are you ready to handle my emotions?

 Guess again.



Note:

Eventually, we worked things out.  On June 1, 2005, I wrote this in my journal:

“Things have not changed much in spite of a new house, new cars, etc.  However, I do not feel like the same person who wrote the previous entries [including the previous poems]. I genuinely believe that [he] loves me and that we can work this out…I do like my poetry though.  I would like to write more – but less depressing…Let the healing begin.”

By New Year’s of 2006, he decided that he needed to be on his own, and I felt the urge to write more bad poetry.  I have yet to feel an urge to write happy poetry. 


Copyright 2006.  Lori Dominick

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Lori - the sheer, raw emotion of it. We spend so much of our lives trying to AVOID emotions, going deep, truly feeling them, allowing them to be there - mine, yours, ours - never really being HERE to them - and they burrow deeper and deeper into our psyches, just like you said. We can't begin that true healing until we are ready to accept those emotions - in terms of being HERE NOW and FEELING them. Great great great poem - great way to harness the power of these emotions and release it in a creative flow. For "bad poetry", this is pretty damn good. {grin}

    ReplyDelete