Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pain


Pain

If I could stand on a mountain and summon up the depths of my pain
And release it in a mighty wail
I would

The pain inside me is like a caged beast
To release it would be to release my very soul.
Nothing would be left.

I would be standing on the mountain alone.
Having released
The pain
The hurt
The fears
The insecurity

The wail would start low
Slowly it would crescendo into a roar
That would touch the pain in everyone’s heart.

And everyone would know I was hurting
And they were hurting
And that we all have pain in our lives.

Slowly the wail would drop off as the last of the pain escaped
In a sigh

Some pain would linger in the recesses of my soul
For I will never be without it.

Copyright 1999. Lori Dominick

1 comment:

  1. Maybe, just maybe... someday... the pain will be transmuted into something higher, and the scars will fade until they are only memories, no longer sore to the touch... maybe. They tell me this really can happen. And I believe them. Beautiful poem - just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete