Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I am Dust


I AM DUST

(Realization while waiting for carryout)

SUBMITTED TO CONSTELLATION MAGAZINE (UMUC) 3/22/08

I am dust,
accumulated debris,
an old catalog,
torn magazine,
broken piece of something
(you can’t even remember what),
a bit of wire or string,
an old piece of lint covered candy,
a wine cork.

And when it all is too much and clutters up the corners of your room
(Or your mind)
You walk away
Taking only what you need

And here I am –
Amongst the clutter
In the recesses of your mind
Waiting to be
Swept away
So you can begin anew.

Copyright 2007. Lori Dominick

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Makes me wonder who is really speaking here, and to whom? Or from how many different perspectives? Could be lots of different voices coming up through this... who knows?

    I really appreciate your writing, Lori. If it is for you like Going Home, etc., has been for me, it's cathartic. I would write, then cry, write, then cry... and each time, it got a little easier.

    Keep writing, please - I can't wait to see what else comes out!

    ReplyDelete