Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Going Through the Paperwork

Going Through the Paperwork
After thirteen years

What do you keep? 
What is yours?
What is mine?
What about tax forms?
Why do I get to be the guardian of the forms?
Ever ready, ever watchful, waiting for the end of seven years
Then it should be safe to throw it all away.
Then will I be done with you and your stuff?

Oh look –
Here’s information on the house.
We made these decisions four years ago
Portabello or Sepia?
Onionskin or Vellum?
Would you like a bay window with that?
Top grade appliances?
Security system?
Check.
Check.
Check.
We want everything.  We want this house to be perfect.  We are going to live here for a very long time. 
At least seven or eight years. 
Then we will look for a place to retire.

But all that has changed.  And now I’m looking for the paperwork to give to the realtors.
So they can list all of our decisions.
So we can get more money.
It’s all about the money now.

And all I can remember is sitting on the bedroom floor with paint chips in a hundred shades of green. 

And you took pictures of me and the paint chips and it was a good picture of me
For once.

And the room came out beautiful. 
And it felt like we were up in the trees, surrounded by green. 
And I was happy.

And now I hate you.

Copyright 2007. Lori Dominick

No comments:

Post a Comment